Position Title: AUDIENCE SERVICES REPRESENTATIVE
The Chicago Humanities Festival connects people to the ideas that shape and define us, and promotes the lifelong
exploration of what it means to be human. CHF fosters curiosity, celebrates creativity, explores the boundaries of
contemporary knowledge and culture, and challenges us to see ourselves and the world anew.
We produce more than 140 programs annually, reaching a live audience of nearly 50,000 adults and 12,000+ youth
(primarily from Chicago Public Schools). In our 27 year history, we have presented over 3,000 outstanding
speakers, including: 10 Nobel Laureates; 73 Pulitzer Prize winners; 56 MacArthur “Genius” Fellows; 34 Academy
Award, Tony, and Grammy winners; and 18 James Beard Award winners. Our dedicated YouTube channel has had
over 4.4 million views.
Additional information is available at chicagohumanities.org.
2017 Chicago Humanities Festival Springfest Dates: April 27‐April 30
Position Start Date: March 1
Audience Services Representatives (ASRs) will be the voice of CHF during our 2nd Annual Springfest: STUFF. CHF’s box office staff is multifaceted: they provide the highest level of customer service to people of all ages and
abilities; they lead volunteers; they troubleshoot technology issues; they work independently and as a team. These
part‐time hourly, seasonal positions start in early March and end in early May, working daytime weekday hours in
the office, with evening and weekend availability required during Festival events (April 27‐30). Training and
orientation will begin March 1, which will be compensated. Box office business hours are Monday through Friday
10 AM – 5 PM, and ASRs’ schedules can be set within those parameters. Evening and weekend hours during the
Festival will vary based on venue assignment.
• Processing ticket orders by taking calls, processing cash and credit card transactions, mailing tickets
• Carefully and accurately maintaining all customer records in CHF’s ticketing software, SRO4
• Leading as a Box Office Manager at event venues
• Training and supervising volunteers at event venues
• Providing excellent customer service over the phone and in person
• Acting as a representative of the Chicago Humanities Festival and its programs
• Fulfilling requests for accessible accommodations
• Expanding our membership program by informing our audience about its benefits
• Assisting the Director of Audience Services and CHF administrative staff on projects as assigned
Applicants must possess:
• Experience in theater box office or customer service
• Tech‐savvy with solid computer, data entry, and database management experience
• A professional demeanor with good communication skills
• A demonstrated commitment to excellent customer service
• Ability to multi‐task with accuracy and attention to detail in a fast‐paced environment
• Ability to lead and work as part of a team
• Flexibility, resourcefulness, and assertiveness in problem solving
• High energy, a positive personality, and grace under pressure
• An interest in working in the arts or cultural industry
Helpful, though not required:
• Familiarity with Chicago cultural venues
• Training in disability awareness, CPR, or American Sign Language
How to apply:
Please email the following materials by February 3, 2017
• Letter of interest
• Contact information for 3 professional references
Brittany Pyle, Director of Audience Services
Please indicate “application for audience services representative” in the email subject line.
*Email applications only. No phone calls please.
The Chicago Humanities Festival is an Equal Opportunity Employer